Frequently Asked Questions about Huis Ten Bosch Annual Pass

About enrollment

Are there any age restrictions or other restrictions on enrollment of the Huis Ten Bosch Annual Passport?

Adults are 18 years old or older, student discount is 18 years old or older, university students / graduate students and those who are enrolled in specialized / miscellaneous schools, seniors are 65 years old or older, juniors are elementary school students to 17 years old, preschoolers are 4 years old to less than elementary school students I will.

What do I need to enroll the Huis Ten Bosch Annual Passport?

Items that can confirm your current address (driver's license, health insurance card, ID card, etc.) * If you apply for Wells Sasebo or any other special contract, please be sure to bring your member's card (documents required for application, etc.).
* Please note that you may not be able to complete the procedure if you do not bring the necessary items for application.

Huis Ten Bosch Annual Pass is enrolled, can all family members (friends) receive Privilege

Privilege only for the member himself / herself. Therefore, family members (friends) are not eligible.

How long does it take at the counter to register?

At the Annual Passport Office, we will ask you to enter the necessary information and take a photo of your face with our device.
Normally, the whole procedure will be completed in about 15 minutes.
* If you are in a hurry, we are able to issue a temporary pass for the day, and you may pick up your official Pass at the next time you visit.

Where do I need to go for enrollment?

The Annual Pass Office Counter is located at the Welcome Gate. Also available on "WEB application".
Annual Pass Office time are based on Park Opening time.
* Subject to change due to park opening time.

Click here to join the WEB




Annual Pass Fee

How much does it cost for HTB Annual Passport?

Please check the price / application page.

Click here for price / application page

Can I use a credit card?

Credit Cards are acceptable only at the office counter. (not for the WEB application)
Only lump sum payment available.
Please note that gift cards cannot be used.
If you wish to use subsidies, etc., payment has to be done in cash.
[List of available credit cards]

About continuation

Is there any information on the renewal procedure?

You can pay the renewal fee at "Direct debit", "Pay at Convenience store", or "at Annual Pass Office Counter".
For those who renew by other than direct debit, we will send the information with the payment slip to your home (destination) in the renewal month.
For direct debits, it takes about 2 months from the receipt of the application form to the completion of registration (must arrive on the 20th, 2 months before the renewal month). Please contact the office for the details.

Can I change the payment method to direct debit?

Yes, It is possible to pay with the renewal fee by direct debit after May 2019.
The application form for direct debit will be sent by mail from the end of February 2019. (You can also hand over the application form at the office.)
guests who enroll after February 2019, we will give it to you at the time of enrollment.
It takes about 2 months from reception to account registration, so please complete the procedure as soon as possible. (Must arrive 20 days before the renewal month)
If the withdrawal is not in time due to incomplete documents or procedures of a financial institution, we will send you a transfer slip, so please pay with it. If you have any questions, please contact us.

Click here for entry example and list of affiliated financial institutions Click here for fund transfer request form

What should I do if the payment slip has expired?

Since it's expired, you won' t be able to use it .
Please contact us .

If I lose my payment slip, can I renew it?

Yes, We will reissue. Please let us know the names and membership numbers of all members who need renewed payment slip.
We also accept renewal procedures at the office, so please stop by the counter if it's more convenient for you.
If the payment deadline has expired, you will need to apply for a new enrollment.

About Privilege

Is the target facility or vehicle subject to change?

Yes, they may change.​ ​

When will the Special Privilege be available?

From the day of enrollment. The card will be issued immediately after the enrollment procedure.
* Accommodation Special Privilege and parking Special Privilege will be available from the next visit.
[Inquiries regarding usage]
Huis Ten Bosch General Information Navi Dial TEL: 0570-064-110

How can I use the membership Privilege

You can use it by showing your Annual Pass.

Can I use the parking lot discount ticket at any parking lot?

On weekdays, we will issue a parking card for your next use. (equivalent to 800 yen).
* The issued parking card can also be used on Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays (on special event days as well).
When using on Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays, it is necessary to show the receipt for restaurant and shopping at the venue of 3,000 yen or more.
* Please be sure to press the receipt button to receive the receipt when entering the parking lot. (A receipt will be issued even if you use the service ticket.)
* Members are requested to use the 1st and 2nd parking lots.


Is there a discount for people with disabilities?

Only the person himself / herself will be half the basic annual membership fee.
In this case, the person with a disability is a person who has a "person with a disability certificate (physical disability and intellectual disability)" and a "welfare certificate for the mentally disabled" issued by the local government.
Please note that the discount for people with disabilities cannot be applied within the valid period.
Those who continue will be applied from the next update. Please contact the member desk at least 3 months before the continuation.
* The annual membership fee is non-refundable. Please note.
* Please present your "Handicapped Person's Handbook" when you join. Please be sure to carry it.
* Cannot be combined with discounts such as welfare contracts.

Is there an expiration date for points?

The use of points has ended on March 31, 2016 (Thursday).
* Please note that points cannot be refunded or exchanged for cash.

What should I do to change my house or cancel my membership?

Please print the following notification document PDF, fill in the required items, and mail it to Huis Ten Bosch

Change / withdrawal notification

About Huis Ten Bosch Money

[About the end of the Huis Ten Bosch
The service of "Huis Ten Bosch Money" has ended on October 30, 2018 (Tuesday).
For inquiries such as refund procedure of "Tenbos Money", general navigation dial
Please contact 0570-064-110 "General Information ①".

About admission with pets

Huis Ten Bosch are "dogs" and "cats". Pets other than the above are not allowed to enter the venue.
[For Huis Ten Bosch dog members]
You can continue to use your dog member's membership card as a "member card", but if you want to continue using it, you will need to submit a consent form, so please complete the procedure at the member desk.
* You will not have to fill out the consent form for each visit, and you will be able to enter smoothly. (Valid during the owner's Annual Pass validity period.)
[For Annual Pass members]
As a limited service for members, we will issue a "dog member card" that allows you to enter smoothly without having to fill out a consent form for each visit.
* It will be a card with pictures of "dog" and "cat".
* Issuing a "member card" is a limited service Annual Pass
For more information, please contact General Navi Dial 0570-064-110 "Member Desk ⑤".

Annual Pass measures for temporary closure to prevent the spread of new coronavirus domestic infection

Regarding the validity period of your membership, we have already extended it by 4 months from 2020/2/29 to 2020/6/30, including some business and Nagasaki citizens limited business period. I will.
* Members enrolled after July 2020 are not eligible.

See details